2049 African Proverbs / Page 2
21. A blacksmith has no need of an axe.
22. A blind person knows his environment more than a visitor with eyes.
23. A bottle that believes it's cracked to smile it will end up on the dustbin.
24. A bowl should not laugh when a calabash breaks.
25. A boy may cry; but a man as to conceal his pain.
26. A bush that doesn't rotate baskets must not grow mushrooms.
27. A butterfly thinks itself a bird because it can fly.
28. A camel cannot see the crookedness of its neck.
29. A camel never sees its own hump.
30. A canoe peddler doesn't tell the crocodile he has along snout until he's crossed the river.
31. A cat in its castle has a lion's teeth.
32. A cat keeps its crawls inside until it meets a mouse.
33. A cat may go to a monastery, but she still remains a cat.
34. A centipede is not crippled by the loss of one limb.
35. A chameleon can only change its colour but never change its skin.
36. A chick that will grow into a cock can be spotted the very day it hatches.
37. A chicken with beautiful plumage does not sit in a corner.
38. A chief in the village never sees the devil.
39. A chief may have more wives than he can remember but you dare not try to share his wives with him.
40. A chief should not create a new law when he is angry.