43 Yugoslavian Proverbs / Page 2
21. If you spit against the wind, you spit in your own face.
22. If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.
23. It is better to look from the mountain than from the dungeon.
24. It is not easy to meet Good, but it is easy to recognize it.
25. Life is like a game in which God shuffles the cards, the devil deals them and we have to play the trumps.
26. Man is harder than rock and more fragile than an egg.
27. Man is learning all his life and yet he dies in ignorance.
28. Nine gamblers could not feed a single rooster.
29. No one likes to be the first to step on the ice.
30. On your own donkey it is quicker than on someone else's racehorse.
31. One ounce of good luck is better than a ton of brains.
32. Patience can break through iron doors.
33. Tell the truth and run.
34. Tell the truth and shame the Devil.
35. The eyes see everything but themselves.
36. The place of an uninvited guest is behind the door.
37. There is little use building a fence around the garden to keep out the rabbits.
38. What is impossible to change is best to forget.
39. When the big bells ring, the little bells are not heard.
40. Where there are no laws, they can't be broken.