73 Bantu Proverbs / Page 2
21. Even if you are cunning, you will not tie water up in a bale of grass.
22. Even if your bee-hive has no honey in it, you shouldn't break it up.
23. Every beast roars in its own den.
24. He was entrapped by the evening, it has cost him his marriage.
25. Hunger has no friend.
26. It is better to have no law than not enforcing it.
27. It is the grass that knows where the snake goes.
28. Just one by one white hairs have come, and thus have they grown.
29. Mother carry me, and I tomorrow will carry you.
30. Mr. Not-present was the brave man.
31. No man can paddle two canoes at the same time.
32. One doesn't follow a wild beast into its lair.
33. One mouth doesn't taste the beer.
34. Only heaven can see the back of a sparrow.
35. Patience is the mother of a beautiful child.
36. People get to know one another when traveling.
37. Respect a little child, and let it respect you.
38. Stroke your dog and he will steal eggs.
39. The bitter heart eats its owner.
40. The bull should be taken by the horns, a man at his word.