27 Basque Proverbs
1. A face that never laughs betrays an evil heart.
2. A silver hammer can open an iron gate.
3. Beware of women with beards and men without beards.
4. Earth belongs to the brave but heaven to those who deserve it.
5. Empty houses are full of noises.
6. Flatterers and traders are related.
7. God is a busy worker but loves to be helped.
8. God is a good worker but loves to be helped.
9. God is good, but not crazy.
10. Honey is bitter for a sore mouth.
11. More people are threatened than are beaten up.
12. My dog slaps you with his tail and bites you with his teeth.
13. My skin is closer to me than my shirt is.
14. Old bachelors and old maids are either too good or too bad.
15. Sleep with a woman and she will make sure you wake up.
16. The hand of the stranger is heavy.
17. The needle dresses people but stays naked itself.
18. The sickness of the body is the cure of the mind.
19. The thread must be longer than the needle.
20. The wolf and the dog agree about the goat -- which together they eat.