128 Darkovan Proverbs
1. A devil with fine manners can still carry you only to hell.
2. A hawk kills because it is his nature; a man because it is his pleasure.
3. A rabbithorn cannot be a war-horse and will only become a laughingstock if he should try.
4. A roan horse and a black can travel equally far in a day's journey.
5. All the smiths . . . can't mend a broken egg.
6. All women are alike when the lamp is out.
7. An oath broken by one does not thereafter bind the other.
8. Bare is brotherless back.
9. Better lady in a cottage than serving-woman in a castle.
10. Call a woman a harlot and you make her one.
11. Can a burst dam be mended with toothpicks?
12. Can a mill go with the water that's past?
13. Can a mouse fall in love with a cat?
14. Chickens can't go back into eggs.
15. Does the left hand chop off the right?
16. Don't ask a dog to judge between a pillar and a tree.
17. Don't kick the horse you have to ride.
18. Don't trust your bone to another man's dog.
19. Don't try to buy fish in the Dry Towns.
20. Don't try to run before you can walk.