84 Haitian Proverbs / Page 2
21. Children aren't dogs; adults aren't gods.
22. Children have wide ears and long tongues.
23. Children learn to creep ere they can learn to go.
24. Do not insult the mother alligator until after you have crossed the river.
25. Don't insult the alligator until you've crossed the river.
26. Eggs have no business dancing with stones.
27. Getting married with a woman is nothing; it's assuming the responsibility of marriage that counts.
28. God has only one measure for all people.
29. Hang your knapsack where you can reach it.
30. Hello is your passport.
31. Hunger is misery; a full stomach is trouble.
32. I would rather be deceived by an intelligent person than by a jackass.
33. If someone sweats for you, you change his shirt.
34. If the lizard were good to eat, it would not be so common.
35. If they had cereal, they'd want gumbo.
36. If work were good for you, the rich would leave none for the poor.
37. If ye do wrang, mak amends.
38. If you sleep under a tree, you can't prevent the leaf from falling on you.
39. If you want to please, never say things are going well.
40. If you want your eggs hatched, sit on them yourself.