219 Jamaican Proverbs / Page 11
201. When you point your finger at someone, look where the other fingers point.
202. When your own funeral is approaching, you don't pick and choose your grave diggers.
203. When yu go a fireside an' see food, eat half an' lef' half.
204. When yu go a Jackass yard, yu noh fi chat 'bout big iyaz.
205. Wherever there are bones, there are dogs.
206. Who ha' fingernail no ha' itch, and who ha' itch no ha' fingernail.
207. Words die and men keep on living.
208. Words in mouth, no load upon head.
209. You can say anything to a man with a full stomach.
210. You can stop a bird from flying over you, but you can't stop it building a nest.
211. You can't have two faces under one hat.
212. You can't prevent a bird from flying over your head, but you can prevent him from making a nest in your head.
213. You can't take the milk back from the coffee.
214. You cannot tie up a dog with a chain of sausages.
215. You nebber see kicking' cow widout kickin'calf.
216. You nebber see pop-gun kill alligator.
217. You shake a man's hand, you don't shake his heart.
218. You shake man's hand, you no shake his heart.
219. You will often see a high collar above an empty stomach.