42 Nilotic Proverbs
1. A father without sons is like a bow without arrows.
2. A friend is like a source of water during a long voyage.
3. A friend is like a water source for a long journey.
4. A friend is someone you share the path with.
5. A friend works in the light of the sun, an enemy in the dark.
6. A generous man must eat if he wants to continue to be one.
7. A guest is a gift, a thief a tragedy.
8. A herdsman must yell to enter the fence.
9. A mother's tenderness for her children is as discreet as the dwe that kisses the earth.
10. A pilgrim, even if a sultan, is poor.
11. A sandstorm passes; the stars remain.
12. A village without elderly is like a tree without roots.
13. An undecided man is the worst disaster of the village.
14. Confiding a secret to an unworthy person is like carrying grain in a bag with a hole.
15. Do not insult a crocodile while your feet are still in the water.
16. Do not wait until tomorrow to hunt.
17. Every man leaves his footprints.
18. Harsh words hurt more than a poisonous arrow.
19. If the tiger sits, do not think it is out of respect.
20. If you have a lot, give some of your possessions; if you have little; give some of your heart.