1032 Portuguese Proverbs
1. "It is nothing -- they are only thrashing my husband."
2. "What is marriage, mother?" "Child, it is spinning, having children, making money, and weeping.
3. A bad knife cuts one's finger instead of the stick.
4. A bad neighbor will give you a needle with no thread.
5. A barking dog was never a good hunter.
6. A barley corn is better than a diamond to a cock.
7. A beard lathered is half shaved.
8. A beard once washed is half shaven.
9. A beggar's wallet is never full.
10. A bird in the hand is more worth than two flying.
11. A bustling mother makes a slothful daughter.
12. A busy mother makes slothful daughters.
13. A capon eight months old is fit for a king's table.
14. A cat that has been scalded is afraid of cold water.
15. A cat that is hidden with its tail showing.
16. A contented ass enjoys a long life.
17. A dead man does not speak.
18. A dog bitten by a snake is afraid of sausages.
19. A dog in the manger, that neither eats nor lets others eat.
20. A dog that has been bitten by a snake, fears the sausage.