65 Congolese Proverbs / Page 2
21. He who is free of faults, will never die.
22. I own a cow in heaven, but I cannot drink her milk.
23. If you are too modest you will go hungry.
24. If you tell people to live together, you tell them to quarrel.
25. Let him speak who has seen with his eyes.
26. Little by little grow the bananas.
27. Love is like a baby: it needs to be treated tenderly.
28. Lovers do not hide their nakedness.
29. Lower your head modestly while passing, and you will harvest bananas.
30. Man is like palm-wine: when young, sweet but without strength; in old age, strong but harsh.
31. Mothers-in-law are hard of hearing.
32. No matter how full the river, it still wants to swell more.
33. No matter how hard you throw a dead fish in the water, it still won't swim.
34. No matter how long the night, the day is sure to come.
35. One day of hunger is not starvation.
36. One knife will not cut another knife; one cheat will not cheat another cheat.
37. Prepare yourself for when the water comes up to your knees.
38. Pride goes only as far as one can spit.
39. Sleep is the cousin of death.
40. The absent are always in the wrong.