372 Persian Proverbs / Page 2
21. A mirror does not reflect a broken heart.
22. A sharp tongue will cut off its own head.
23. A snake can change its skin but not its disposition.
24. A stone thrown at the right time is better than a stone thrown at the wrong time.
25. A sword in the hands of a drunken slave is less dangerous than science in the hands of the unscrupulous.
26. A tear at the right moment is better than a misplaced smile.
27. A thief is a king till he's caught.
28. A thief is a king until he is caught.
29. A thief knows a thief as a wolf knows a wolf.
30. A visitor comes with ten blessings, eats one, and leaves nine.
31. A wolf's repentance died a long time ago.
32. Acquaintance without patience is like a candle with no light.
33. All work is as seed sown; it grows and spreads, and sows itself anew.
34. An alive person needs life.
35. An arrow can be pulled out of a wound, but a hurtful word stays forever in your heart.
36. An egg thief becomes a camel thief.
37. An ungrateful son is a wart on his father's nose -- he leaves it, it's ugly, he removes it, it hurts.
38. Arabic is a language, Persian is a delicacy and Turkish is an art.
39. As long as the clouds dolt weep, the pasture cannot laugh.
40. As soon as a man gets new trousers, he thinks about a new wife.